enter your user name below to receive your login information
already have an account and just want to login?
Need an account? Very simple, no email required
all it takes is a username and password. email is optional
Have an account? Always glad to see you back...
Coming up with funny, interesting and cool team names
Team Names by Sport
How do I start finding the right team name?
After spending the better part of my life playing sports, I have had the privilege of playing many different sports and being part of many different sports teams. I have been involved on both sides of the fence, as team management and as a player. Whether you consider this fortunate or not I have spent a lot of time and had many experiences coming up with new team names. Some examples of those team names being: Volley of the Damned, Spikes are us, and Bump, Set, Win. Although I know there have been many others, those are a few that I can remember, of which I can vividly recall the amount of time I had invested in coming up with just the right name. Much of my time I spent just finding good sites and resources that had lists of team names for sports on the web. Then when all else would failed I would try to find what other people had used before, so that I could bastardize their name and try to make it my own. Unfortunately originality wasn't always in the cards and seldom did I ever invent one of my own.
Here is a sample of a few random names:
What does it take to come up with a team name?
Originality in naming teams is seldom found since most people are incapable of combining thousands of words together until a fit is found, so time usually takes it toll on us and we then end up settling on a combination of words that is descent enough and hopefully not used or heard of by others. To get around this team name generators are great since some times randomly joining words together can at times make sense and provide the required muse needed to come up with your own original team name. And when all else fails something that should not be overlooked is finding inspiration within the professional and amateur associations and the names they use. There are a few sites that have a comprehensive and exhaustive lists team names.
Where am I going with this team name?
Team names are usually picked because they provide a few of the general needs of the persons in charge of coming up with and deciding on a name. Here are a few helpful suggestions on different ways that you can follow with naming your team, that hopefully can be that needed spark of inspiration:
- Team name is a pun. Volley of the Damned, obviously taken from the movie title Valley of the Dolls. Then given a bit of a sinister turn with the word play on Dolls to Damned, projecting the feeling that if you decide to play volleyball against this team you maybe damned. The site that we created for this team had a skeleton spiking a volleyball in a molten lava court, very fitting.
- Team name fits the team. Four guys named Ed. Not very inventive, but straight forward. Not going to win any awards with a name like that, and going this route could make the name only funny and interesting to the people that know you, or that are willing to find out what you meant and spend 40 minutes hearing the back story of why each of your mothers decided on the name Ed and how you all met.
- Team name is funny. If you decide to go this route make sure that anyone that sees your name gets it. A funny team name is only funny if people can understand what you are getting at. That means more than 2% of the population has heard of the subject of your name.
- Team name kicks butt. This name came to chew bubble gum and kick butt, and it is all out of bubble gum. This name you choose makes the other team shake in their boots just reading the upcoming schedule, gives them second thoughts about even showing up to the game. This name is so good that your opponents will conjures up mental images of the emergency ward just thinking of stepping on the court. Only caveat here is that your team better live up to the legend you have created, or you could end up being laughed off the court.
- Team name is underrated. A team name that gives the other team a sense of over confidence, such as Kates Kitty Kats (Nice use of alliteration). Kind of make you think the other team will bring their knitting with them and probably have an affinity to wear pink tutu's. While your opponents will spend weeks dreaming of the trauma they will be inflicting on your team when you show up, however the surprise will be on game day when your entire team enters all at once, with no player less than 6'5" and a grimacing game face on, the other team will be forced to rethink how they were about to school you.
Obviously they are many ways to come up with a great name for your team, funny, puns, and ones that are fitting. Eventually you can find some naming tools that get the wheels spinning and finally do your new found team some justice. Mostly naming your team will just takes time and patience. What ever means you go about it please let us know we are always interested to hear how your name came about, as long as it doesn't fall under category #2 from above.